SMEC has been commissioned by the Kenya National Highway Authority to provide consulting services for the 305 km long Garissa-Isiolo Road, in Kenya.
SMEC’s scope of work includes:
- Feasibility study review (including consideration of alternative routes and pavement options, environmental and social impact study, road safety, land acquisition, review of preliminary design, economic and financial analysis)
- Detailed engineering designs for the approved road option
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA)
- Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) and associated surveys
- Gender analysis
- Bidding documents based on the approved detailed designs.
The 305 km long Garissa-Isiolo Road forms part of the 1,250 km long Lamu Corridor.
Upon completion, this Corridor will be Kenya’s second transport corridor and will benefit key towns including: Lamu and Isiolo in Kenya, Juba in Southern Sudan and Addis Ababa in Ethiopia.
The overall objective of this project is to improve access and connectivity between Kenya, South Sudan and Ethiopia and stimulate economic growth in the Northern and Eastern parts of Kenya.
- Technical Area:
- Kenya National Highway Authority