SMEC is assisting the Ministry of Public Works and Utilities (MPWU) with project management and implementation, community engagement and capacity development activities.
SMEC’s scope of work includes:
- Rehabilitation of the existing sewer systems, saltwater intake pump stations, sewerage pumping stations, and ocean outfalls for discharge of sewerage
- Capacity building of the MPWU in sanitation system management and maintenance
- Sanitation and Hygiene Community Engagement and Public Awareness campaign
- Creation of an efficient, workable sanitation maintenance fund, with adequate revenues and with controlled disbursement procedures, to ensure sustainability of sanitation services
The South Tarawa Sanitation Improvement Program aims to improve the health of communities on South Tarawa by rehabilitating and upgrading its sanitation infrastructure and increasing access to sanitation services.
High population density, poor hygiene practices, and inadequate water and sanitation infrastructure and services have contributed to a high prevalence of waterborne disease among the local population and degradation of the natural environment.
This project will help to improve access to safe and sustainable water and sanitation services, particularly in the low income urban settlements of Betio, Bairiki and Bikenibeu.
- Technical Area:
- Education Governance & Government Advisory / Water
- Ministry of Public Utilities