SMEC was engaged to provide consulting services which included:
- Review of previous studies, reports and data
- Engineering investigations
- Economic and financial analysis
- Preparation of appraisal reports
- Preparation of scope of works, detailed engineering design, and tender documentation
- Environmental impact assessment (EIA)
- Social impact assessment (SIA)
- Resettlement action planning (RAP)
- Construction supervision
- Contract administration
Financed by the Asian Development Bank, the aim of the Bangladesh Railway Sector Improvement Program is to improve capacity, efficiency and safety of railway systems throughout the country.
SMEC was engaged to provide consulting services to assist Bangladesh Railway to implement its priority investment projects (subprojects). These subprojects strengthen Bangladesh Railway’s core business activities and form part of the main route network.
One of the main elements under the program is addressing the transport bottlenecks within the railway sector. The subprojects concentrate on enhancing rail capacity and increasing rail services in the Dhaka-Chittagong and Bangladesh-India transport corridors, where there is high demand for intercity passenger and freight services.
Project scope of work comprises:
- Project preparation for the six selected subprojects (covering the routes Tongi‑Bhairab Bazar, Dhaka-Laksam, Dhaka-Tongi, Ishurdi-Darsana, Khulna-Parbatipur and Bogra-Jamtoil)
- Detailed design and documentation for double tracking and signal improvements on the Tongi-Bhairab Bazar route
- Supervision of construction works
Upon completion, this project will help increase economic growth throughout the region, through improved railway infrastructure and policy reform.
- Technical Area: