SMEC was engaged by the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) to undertake the detailed design of Section C Traveston to Woondum of the Bruce Highway - Cooroy to Curra Upgrade.
SMEC also provided environmental approvals for creek diversions, fauna management, offsets, erosion and sediment control and species management.
Key deliverables include:
- The full project delivered four months ahead of the agreed schedule.
- A successful design which provides enhanced environmental outcomes whilst achieving cost savings compared to the preliminary design
- Delivered savings through improvements in alignment, earthworks, formation width, pavement and bridge designs and expanding the use of wire rope safety barrier
- Worked with the Client to agree the inclusion of a recommended asphalt surfacing to achieve improved whole of life costs.
The A$384 million Section C Traveston to Wondum project forms part of the Bruce Highway - Cooroy to Curra Upgrade. Section C will deliver a new 4-lane divided highway between the new section of highway at Traveston and Woondum.
The project comprised:
- Realignment of 14 km of Bruce Highway between Traveston and Woondum;
- Delivery of 10.5 km of new 4-lane highway;
- Integration with two existing interchanges; and
- 13 bridges including major waterway crossing structures.
The new highway will provide safe and improved access to the local road network.
Designed to meet capacity and efficiency demands for long-term road freight and transport needs in the region, the highway will also provide a Q100 (1 in 100 year event) flood immunity.
- Technical Area:
- Department of Transport and Main Roads