SMEC has been engaged as Construction Supervision Consultant.
SMEC's scope of work includes:
- Engineering design review
- Construction monitoring
- Safety inspections (equipment and material inspections
- Progress and quality monitoring
- Ensuring implementation of road safety design requirement
- Monitoring the implementation of the environmental mitigation plan, land acquisition and resettlement plan
- Monitoring of financial management procedures
- Completing project performance monitoring, evaluation and reporting
The Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Transport Corridor 2 connects the Caucasus and Mediterranean to East Asia via Central Asian countries.
The objective of the CAREC Investment Program is to increase transport connectivity and institutional effectiveness through: the reconstruction of 790 km of road in the Mangystau Oblast region of Kazakhstan; strengthening capacity for planning, project management and asset management; and improving cross-border infrastructure and facilities.
As part of the Investment Program, this project comprises the upgrade of 170 km of national highway A-380 between Shetpe and Aktau, including culverts and bridges, viaducts and road signs.
Project scope includes:
- Construction of two bypasses around the towns of Shetpe and Zhetibay
- Reconstruction of an 85 km road section to a two-lane Category 2 highway standard
Upgrading an 83 km section of road between the cities of Zhetybay and Aktau to four-lane Category 1 highway standard
- Technical Area:
- Committee for Roads, Ministry of Investments and Development, Kazakhstan