In early 2014 SMEC commenced an asset management assessment to identify the main improvement areas for the mine’s process plant and mining operations. The areas included: improvements to the maintenance and supply chain processes; review of non-scheduled downtime of equipment to reduce financial losses; an asset management plan for the operation lifecycle; increase expertise within the maintenance and supply chain teams; and enhance the employees’ knowledge and capabilities of the SAP business system.
The improvement program delivered:
- An overall asset management maturity level increase from 1.3 to 2.1
- An increase of backlog work from zero weeks to four weeks
- 70% increase in plant maintenance compliance
- 30% increase in capacity utilisation
- 50% increase in schedule compliance
- Implementation of a reliability strategy that focussed on resolving the most important issues
- Positive shift in utilising SAP plant maintenance in managing maintenance activities and expenditure
- Significant improvement in the supply chain function
- Significant reduction of direct purchases.
Canadian intermediate gold producer Detour Gold owns and operates the Detour Lake mine in northern Ontario. Detour Lake is a large-scale open pit operation, and is the second largest gold producing mine in the country with the largest gold reserves to date.
- Technical Area:
- Resources & Industry
- Detour Gold