SMEC was responsible for overall direction of the masterplan. The scope of services included:
- Data collection and review
- Establishment of contacts with Government agencies
- Preliminary constraints, opportunities and policy options
- Background research and identification of major issues, including implementation of a public participation program
- Generation of base maps, incorporating land use and infrastructure network
- Investigation of alternative development strategies and development of preferred strategy
- Identification of capability for expansion and improvement of services networks
- Investigation of impact of different demographic scenarios and derive best economic framework for development
- Analysis of social, environmental and historical assets
- Community consultation
- Development of a masterplan
- Preparation of framework for implementation of the plan
- Provision of in-house training in all aspects of masterplan preparation.
The project included the preparation of a comprehensive Local Development Masterplan for downtown Port Moresby and Konedobu.
The objective of the project was to promote the best use of land in the plan area with a view to balancing social objectives, economic advancement and environmental sustainability.
The plan also included strategies to utilise customary land, involving customary landholders in the planning process.
- Papua New Guinea
- Technical Area:
- Urban Development
- National Capital District Commission