Our RoleSMEC prepared and delivered the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment and associated management plans in accordance with Nigerian regulatory standards and World Bank requirements.
The Government of Nigeria is undertaking a major expansion of the national power generation and distribution system. As part of this expansion, four new electricity substations will be developed in the growth centers of New Kano (Kano), Biliri (Gombe), Kabba (Kogi) and Abor (9th Mile, Enugu).
Completed in February 2017, this project comprised the preparation of an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for the four substations.
Project works included:
- Minimising potential environmental and social impacts
- Ensuring designs met World Bank sustainability requirements
- Completing baseline environmental and socioeconomic surveys
- Undertaking impact assessments
- Hosting stakeholder consultations
- Preparing planning approval documentation
- Developing detailed environmental and social management plans.
- Technical Area:
- Transmission Company of Nigeria/ Project Management Unit