SMEC provided both tender and detailed design services (in association with GHD and KBR) to the John Holland Group (the design and construct contractor).
SMEC was responsible for the geotechnical, drainage, earthworks, all mainline structures, overbridges and under-bridges, tunnelling, road and property works of the design.
Design services included:
- An 80 m tunnel underpass to pass under the Hume Highway, excavated using a canopy tubes support system
- 14 bridge structures, passing both under and over the railway lines along with all associated structures including culverts and retaining walls
- Drainage, earthworks, flood studies and 12D modelling for the entire alignment of the route
- Geotechnical investigations and analysis for the entire route including foundation assessments for all structures, the Hume Highway underpass, both stations and the stabling yard
- Close liaison with all design partners to ensure full integration at key interfaces including stations, rail alignment, signalling and overhead wiring.
“SMEC achieved the time targets for the commencement of site construction activities. Positive relationships also existed and were maintained with our client 'Transport Projects Division, NSW'. Although not directly responsible for rail systems design elements, SMEC’s management approach to the design work was integral to the successful integration of those disciplines,” said David Polkinghorne from John Holland Group.
The Glenfield to Leppington Rail Line is a new 11 km passenger rail line between Glenfield Junction and a new stabling yard at Leppington in Sydney.
The project includes:
- 11 km of new greenfield track
- Two new railway stations, interchanges and commuter car parks at Leppington and Edmondson Park
- A train stabling facility west of Leppington.
The project allows for future expansion to Bringelly, with the line representing a significant development in public transport for two key areas of South West Sydney’s future growth at Leppington and Edmondson Park.
SMEC, with GHD and KBR, provided full detailed design services to John Holland Group for the entire scope including civil, track, signalling and building works for the extension.
- Technical Area:
- John Holland Group (Design/Construct contractor)