SMEC was engaged by the Government of Sri Lanka under the ministry of Local Government and Provincial Councils to undertake the detailed design, construction supervision and project management for the Greater Colombo Wastewater Management Project.
This project aims to address the current wastewater collection, conveyance, treatment and disposal problems in Colombo City.
This will be achieved through the upgrade and rehabilitation of sewerage infrastructure in the Greater Colombo Sewerage Service Area, and institutional strengthening of the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC), the main sewerage service provider.
Project scope of work includes:
- Rehabilitation of 17 pumping stations
- Laying of four new pumping mains and gravity collection pipelines totalling 20 km
- Condition assessment of 125 km of sewer network
- Installation of pre-treatment facilities at pumping stations
- Rehabilitation of 10 km of critical sewers in very poor condition
Upon completion, the project will improve the living standards and public health for 1.5 million residents in the Greater Colombo area.
- Sri Lanka
- Technical Area: