SMEC’s scope of work included:
- Establish comprehensive numerical models to simulate the chemical and flow behavior of contaminants in groundwater
- Prepare a range of conceptual designs for feasible groundwater remediation options including engineering and environmental aspects
- Determine the most effective remediation approach through testing a range of remediation options
- Recommend a preferred remediation approach
- Build capacity within the Kuwait Ministry of Electricity and Water to maintain, update and apply the preferred model.
Crude oil and saltwater has caused widespread contamination of soil and freshwater aquifers in Kuwait. The aim of this project was to identify and recommend the preferred approach for remediation of the Raudhatain and Umm Al-Aish freshwater aquifers.
- Technical Area:
- Kuwait Ministry of Electricity and Water