SMEC provided support and assistance to the Project Management Unit (PMU) encompassing engineering and environmental aspects and overall project management and implementation.
SMEC’s scope of work included:
- Site inspections
- Assessment and confirmation of sub-projects
- Preparation of final scope of works and contract packages
- Preparation of detailed design of selected sub-projects
- Management of the tender process
- Construction management and monitoring
- Environmental and resettlement monitoring
- Management of groundwater monitoring program to assess impact of existing sanitation systems on local environs
- Overall project management
- Capacity building in Ministry of Works on project implementation and management
The effects of rapid urbanisation were being experienced in Tonga particularly in Nuka’alofa, the nation’s capital.
This Asian Development Bank (ADB) funded project was implemented in order to improve living standards, particularly in low-income residential area, through improved urban infrastructure development.
The project included:
- Rehabilitation of 10 km of primary roads
- Rehabilitation of all existing drains in Nuku’alofa’s Central Business District (CBD)
- Construction of 2 km of flood relief drains
- Development of a stormwater drainage maintenance program
- Construction of eight groundwater monitoring wells
- Construction of candidate sub-projects
- Technical Area:
- Education Governance & Government Advisory
- Ministry of Works