SMEC provided full design services, from preliminary concept through to final design and through the construction phase of the project. Design delivery was ahead of program and under budget, and included the award of significant variations to the original project scope.
- Origin Alliance has won 20 industry awards for its outstanding safety performance, high quality workmanship, effective project management, innovative approach, and unique on-site culture.
Managed by the Origin Alliance, SMEC was one of the two engineering firms engaged to deliver the detailed design of this complex road infrastructure project.
The Ipswich Motorway (Dinmore to Goodna) is a major freight transport link supplying goods to the city of Brisbane and access to the Port of Brisbane. The project involved the upgrade of a major four lane highway to a six lane motorway with the capacity to further increase to eight lanes in the future, thereby supporting current transport needs while allowing for anticipated growth in the region.
Project works included:
- Widening of 8 km of existing motorway corridor from two to three lanes in both directions, with room for four lanes in the future
- Motorway to motorway grade separated interchanges to provide safer, more effective vehicle access to the Warrego and Cunningham Highways
- Grade separated interchange at Redbank, with connection to Smiths Road extension to the South and Monash Road extension to the North
- Grade separated interchange at Goodna
- 24 bridges including 6 pedestrian bridges
- New service roads and upgrading of local roads totalling 13 km in length
- Drainage including transverse, longitudinal and water quality infrastructure
- Provision for pedestrian and cyclists along the Ipswich Motorway corridor and local road network
- Rehabilitation of underground coal mines through grouting to prevent future subsidence
- Intelligent Transport System to provide increased driver safety and ensure more effective future motorway management
- Temporary Traffic Management to allow construction of the motorway under traffic, involving over 35 major traffic switches.
- Technical Area:
- Department of Transport and Main Roads, Queensland