SMEC was engaged by Auckland Council to provide consultancy services on the project.
SMEC's scope of work included:
- Site investigations to include geotechnical, ecology, arborist, contamination and stream bank erodibility
- Design workshops
- Conceptual, preliminary and detailed design of:
- Stream bank and bed treatment options
- Retaining structures
- Erosion protection measures
- Regrading options
- Technical documentation and reporting of findings
- Erosion and sediment control plans
- Construction monitoring services
The objective of this project was to develop stream rehabilitation solutions, provide erosion protection and stabilisation for the urban reach of the Kahika Stream in Birkdale, Auckland.
The stream banks were undermined and eroding at a substantial rate which presented an increased risk of subsidence and ground settlement of the nearby residential buildings.
This project helped to stabilise the banks of the stream and minimise further erosion, and in turn assist in protecting nearby residential houses and infrastructure from future damage.
- New Zealand
- Technical Area:
- Auckland Council