SMEC was engaged as lead consultant with responsibility for feasibility studies, detailed engineering design and preparation of tender documentation.
SMEC’s scope of work included:
- Hydrological and hydraulic surveys
- Drainage structures and pavement condition surveys
- soils and materials investigations
- Detailed topographic survey
- Traffic studies
- Design for rehabilitation of existing drainage culverts and existing bridges
- Implementation of Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA)
- Preparation of Environmental Management Plan (EMP) and Resettlement Action Plan (RAP)
- Preparation of tender documentation
The Uganda National Road Authority (UNRA) is responsible for managing, maintaining and developing Uganda’s national road network. In line with this, UNRA has embarked on a program of works to upgrade earth and gravel roads to bitumen standard.
The objectives of this project are to: improve the quality of the national road network thereby increasing connectively to all areas; promote equal access to economic and social development opportunities; and promote improvement of the national road sector.
As part of this program, SMEC was engaged to provide consultancy services for the upgrade of the 88 km long Kayunga-Galiraya Road in Central Uganda from gravel to bitumen standard.
- Technical Area:
- Uganda National Road Authority