SMEC was engaged to conduct site investigations and a preliminary environmental impact assessment of the reclaimed land in order to determine the suitability of the area for development.
SMEC’s scope of work included:
- Investigations of topography and slope, vegetative cover, hydrology, soil and ground conditions
- Analysis of water (levels and quality)
- Identification of drainage patterns
- Analysis of alternative infrastructure servicing options
The objective of this New Zealand Agency for International Development (NZAID) funded program was to improve health and living conditions in South Tarawa by implementing measures to reduce population congestion and improve urban infrastructure.
One of the main components of the program was the development of a pilot project on reclaimed state owned land at Temaiku, Tarawa Atoll, to provide 150 residential allotments, commercial and institutional facilities and recreational areas.
- Technical Area:
- New Zealand Agency for International Development (NZAID)