SMEC was engaged by the South African National Roads Agency Limited (SANRAL) to provide consultancy services on the to the N2 upgrade project.
This project was a successful collaboration between various functional groups within the company, including: Roads and Highways; Structures, Construction and Pavements; Hydropower and Dams (for geotechnics); and Power & Energy (for the street lighting).
Project works were completed within budget over a 46 month timeframe.
SMEC provided consultancy services for capacity improvements to the N2 between the Mount Edgecombe Interchange and the eThongathi Toll Plaza in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
The project works comprised:
- Widening of two bridges and off-ramps at the eMdloti Interchange
- Widening of the King Shaka International Airport Interchange
- Widening of two 282 m bridges over the Mdloti River using the incremental launch method
- Additional lanes in designated sections
- Widening of flexible and rigid pavement structures
- Construction of Mechanically Stabilised Earth (MSE)
- Installation of street lighting.
- South Africa
- Technical Area:
- South African National Roads Agency Limited