SMEC provided capacity building services to the Department of Works and Implementation.
SMEC’s scope of work included:
- Review of current standards and procedures to improve technical standards and contract procedures for road maintenance works
- Training needs analysis, preparation of training plans, provision of on-the-job training and formal training activities including environmental and gender awareness training
- Guidance in the collection of road condition and traffic data for input into a road asset management system
- Guidance in the preparation of annual maintenance works programs
- Assistance in the preparation of tender and contract packages
- Engineering and economic feasibility studies
- Technical design for selected road upgrade works
- Financial management
- Contract administration and supervision of works
- Project management, monitoring and reporting.
The objective of this project was to improve economic and social development in Papua New Guinea through an efficient, safe, and reliable roads transport system. The project comprised capacity building of the Department of Works and Implementation (DOWI) and covered the planning, management and implementation of cost-effective maintenance for the national road network
- Papua New Guinea
- Technical Area:
- Department of Works and Implementation