SMEC was engaged on both phases of the project.
SMEC’s services included:
- Review of the draft Kiritimati Island Development Plan
- Poverty and social analysis in accordance with ADB requirements
- Socioeconomic surveys
- Design and implementation of a Participation and Community Awareness Program
The objective of this project was to prepare a long-term strategic, sustainable urban development plan for of Kiribati Island encompassing economic, social and environmental factors. The project was delivered under two phases.
Phase I comprised preparation of a feasibility study for the development of Kiribati Island and recommendations of priority projects for selected outer island growth centres.
Phase II included preparation of a detailed investment plan for implementation of the development strategy.
Project outputs included:
- Proposed land use management and legislative systems
- Identification of required infrastructure, services, and support facilities to support economic development
- Identification of social issues relating to the proposed development plan
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Preparation of preliminary designs, cost estimates and a financing plan
- Identification of procurement needs
- Identification of project beneficiaries
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIA)
- Identification of land needs and institutional and regulatory changes required for each project
- Technical Area: