SMEC was engaged as Project Management Support Consultant (PMSC) to support MiDA’s Transportation and Agriculture Infrastructure Project Manager (TAIPM) in managing and implementing the activities under the transportation and agriculture infrastructure component of the Compact. SMEC also supported the development of systems and structures to facilitate clear reporting lines, high levels of accountability and transparency, effective communication, and timely and professional decision-making.
The Government of Ghana with the help of the Millennium Challenge Corporation, aimed to reduce rural poverty through targeted agricultural, transportation-related and social infrastructure interventions.
The transportation-related activities involved:
- constructing a 14 km section of National Highway 1
- rehabilitating 945 km of feeder roads
- rehabilitating 227 km of trunk roads, and
- supporting ferry services and infrastructure.
The agricultural infrastructure comprised
- feeder road rehabilitation
- irrigation development including construction of weirs, retention ponds and small-scale irrigations systems
- post-harvest infrastructure including improvement and construction of packhouses, and
- construction of packing and cooling infrastructure at Kotoka International Airport.
The project was completed on September 27th, 2012.
- Technical Area:
- Millennium Development Authority (MiDA)