SMEC was engaged by India’s Borders and Roads Organisation and the Ministry of Defence to provide detailed engineering and advisory services including:
- Revalidation of the Detailed Project Report (DPR)
- Tender designs
- Detailed designs (civil, mechanical, ventilation and electrical)
- Tender, evaluation and award of construction contracts
- Construction supervision
- Assistance in tunnel commissioning
- Capacity building.
The 12 m diameter tunnel bypasses the Rohtang Pass on the Manali-Leh Highway, and provides all-weather connectivity to the Lahaul Spiti Valley and northern India, reducing travel distance by 47 km and assisting economic development throughout the region. Previously, access over the mountain pass was restricted to only six to eight months each year, due to heavy snowfall, avalanches and landslides.
- Technical Area:
- Border Roads Organisation