SMEC is providing project implementation services for the project.
SMEC’s scope of work includes:
- Surveys, investigations, design, contracts management and construction supervision for irrigation, drainage and dam safety improvement works
- Institutional development, training and capacity building of agricultural institutions for improved water management and systems
- Agricultural development for improved and sustainable irrigated agriculture production and productivity
- Project management and coordination support, including environmental management, project monitoring and evaluation
The Second Irrigation and Drainage Improvement Project (IDIP-2) is in response to the Government of Kazakhstan’s objective to accelerate the improvement of irrigated land in order to improve the efficiency of water use in agriculture and reduce demands on scarce surface water resources.
The objective of the project is to improve irrigation and drainage service delivery to approximately 10,000 farms located in the Almaty, Kyzylorda, South Kazakhstan and Zhambyl oblasts, in order to contribute to the development of the agricultural sector.
Project scope of work is comprised of three components:
- Component 1: Rehabilitation and modernisation of irrigation and drainage systems including dam safety interventions
- Component 2: Sustainable management, operation and maintenance of irrigation and drainage systems
- Component 3: Agricultural development to include capacity development of farmers and farm managers and supporting systems maintenance
- Technical Area:
- Committee of Water Resources of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Kazakhstan