SMEC was engaged to deliver the Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment (SESA) relating to the development of hydropower plants in Nigeria.
Completed in March 2017, this project was a federal government initiative with the aim of improving the efficiency, reliability and sustainability of the power industry in Nigeria.
The scope of work included the preparation of a Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment (SESA) relating to the development of gas-fired, solar and mini-hydropower generation plants by Independent Power Producers (IPPs). This included:
- Identification of current impacts and issues
- Overview of regulatory and institutional frameworks
- Assessment of current capacity
- Final consultations, recommendations, review and approval.
The assessment aims to enhance the benefits of the proposed power generating plants while ensuring negative impacts are mitigated.
- Technical Area:
- The Federal Government of Nigeria