SMEC was engaged as Lead Design firm to design the permanent structures and civil works, including:
- Viaduct and station platforms
- Viaduct crossings over major roadways
- All bulk earthwork requirements associated with cut, fill and embankments roadwork design for Windsor Road and Balmoral Road
- The adjustment of existing infrastructure impacted by the works.
Sydney Metro Northwest, formerly known as the North West Rail Link, is the first stage of Sydney Metro, Australia’s largest public transport project. The project is being delivered in three major contracts: Tunnels and Station Civil Works; Surface and Viaduct Civil Works; and Operations, Trains and Systems. SMEC is also providing the civil engineering, structural, electrical and public utilities designs for the Operations, Trains and Systems (OTS) package. Read more.
SMEC was a member of the Impregilo-Salini Joint Venture, which was awarded the Surface and Viaduct Civil (SVC) Works contract. The works included a four km elevated skytrain viaduct between Bella Vista and Rouse Hill in Sydney’s north-west, and a 270 m long, 45 m high cable-stayed bridge over Windsor Road carrying a twin track metro line.
The skytrain viaduct and bridge are part of the 36 km rail link between Rouse Hill and Chatswood.
Sydney Metro Northwest will deliver eight new railway stations and 4,000 commuter car parking spaces to meet the current and emerging transport needs of Sydney’s rapidly growing North West. The project features a new generation of reliable, fully-automated metro trains and will transform public transport in Sydney.
SMEC brought together a team of international experts from South Africa and Australia who worked on the project for four years (2013-2017).
Notably, the Windsor Road Bridge is the first curved cable-stayed rail bridge built in Australia and has the longest recorded main span for a rail bridge supported by a single plane of cable. The project has been recognised for its design sustainability and use of innovative construction methods including launching technology. This is evident in the numerous international awards the project has won:
- Leading Design IS rating from the Infrastructure Sustainability Council of Australia for the most environment-friendly project design – 2015
- Leading As Built IS rating – the highest possible score for sustainability – in 2017.
- New York-based Engineering News-Record (ENR) Best Project of the Year and Global Best Rail Project 2018
- South Africa Institute of Civil Engineering (SAICE) Cape Town Award for 2018 Best International Project
- Consulting Engineers South Africa Aon Engineering Excellence Awards - 2018 International Projects category
- Engineers Australia 2018 Engineering Excellence Award
- Technical Area:
- Salini Impregilo