SMEC was engaged to assist both the Government of Kyrgyzstan and the DWR with the implementation of components 2 and 3 of the project.
These components are related to institutional development and capacity building, and will help to improve water resources management including the implementation of the new Water Code and further development of Water Users Associations (WUAs) with establishment of WUA Federations.
SMEC’s scope of work includes:
- Establishment and capacity building of new institutions, including the National Water Council (NWC) and the State Water Administration (SWA)
- Reforming DWR’s technical and financial performance
- Support for further WUA development
- Training and capacity building of local specialists
- Formation and development of pilot WUA Federations
The objective of the Water Management Improvement Project (WMIP) is to improve irrigation service delivery and water management. This will help to increase productivity of irrigated agriculture, generating sustainable long term growth, and improve national water resources governance.
The project is being implemented by the Department of Water Resources (DWR) of the Ministry of agriculture, Water Management and Processing Industry under four components comprising:
- Rehabilitation and modernisation of Irrigation Infrastructure (conveyance and distribution systems commanding approximately 60,000 ha)
- Management of resources (including assistance in the implementation of the Water Code)
- Organisation of beneficiaries
- Project management
- Technical Area:
- Education Governance & Government Advisory / Water
- Department of Water Resources