SMEC was engaged as Principal Design Consultant for Stage 1A. SMEC (in joint venture with Rizzani De Eccher and CPB Contractors) was responsible for all civil design, including: alignment, drainage, flooding and hydrology, pavements, road furniture, durability assessments, street lighting and Information Technology Services (ITS).
The M4 Widening Stage 1A project comprises the first stage in the delivery of WestConnex, Australia’s largest urban road project. WestConnex will connect Sydney’s western suburbs with the central business district, while easing congestion, reducing travel times and improving road safety.
This project includes the widening and upgrading of approximately 7.5 km of the M4 Motorway between Pitt Street, Parramatta and Homebush Bay Drive, Homebush.
Key features of the project include:
- A new two-lane viaduct for westbound traffic
- Reconfiguration of the traffic lanes on the existing viaduct making a total of four lanes in each direction
- Widening of the existing motorway to the south of westbound carriageway
- Widening of the at-surface carriageway of the motorway to four lanes in each direction
- Two new on-ramps at Hill Road and Homebush Bay Drive
- Widening and lengthening of existing ramps
- Provision of new and modified noise barriers
- Provision of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) infrastructure
- Provision of tolling infrastructure.
- Technical Area:
- CPB Contractors Joint Venture