SMEC (in a Design Joint Venture with Maunsell) provided the concept design and detailed design for 40 km of dual carriageway freeway, 17 major interchanges, and local roads and traffic staging works.
Specialised services included:
- Road alignment and earthworks design
- Design for transverse and longitudinal drainage
- Design of 56 km of noise walls
- Geotechnical design of road way soft ground treatment and structural foundations
- Hydrologic and hydraulic modelling
- Pavement design for main carriageways, local roads and ramps, and shared paths
- Environmental review and input to design process
- Technical advice.
Key features of the project include:
- 40 km of 4-lane dual carriageway freeway, built to motorway standards
- 17 major interchanges including the first motorway-motorway interchange in Australia
- 175 structures including 98 overpasses and underpasses for local access for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists
- Approximately 60 km of pedestrian and cycle paths
- 40 km of service roads
The Roads and Maritime Services (formerly Roads and Traffic Authority of NSW) were responsible for project management of the motorway.
The Westlink M7 comprises a 40 km motorway which links the M2, M4 and M5 motorways via a semi-circle orbital through urban and semi-urban areas of the outer western suburbs of Sydney.
- Technical Area:
- The Roads and Maritime Services