The projected shortfall in water supply, prompted the Southern Region Water Board and the Malawi Government to undertake pre-feasibility studies for an additional water source to satisfy present and future water demands for water supply and sanitation, irrigation, and fisheries development up to 2060.
To take the project into the next stage, SMEC has been engaged by the Southern Region Water Board of the Government of Malawi to carry out detailed feasibility and subsequent detailed design studies to progress designs for an additional water source at Domasi River.
Caption: Zomba and the surrounding region
SMEC’s role and responsibilities include:
- Assess multi-use water demands for water supply, irrigation, aquaculture, fisheries, and potential hydropower, up to the year 2060
- Perform hydrological and water resources yield modelling to assess water availability.
- Prepare an assessment of the impact of climate change on the sustainability of the water source.
- Prepare a catchment rehabilitation and protection plan for the water source watersheds.
- Carry out feasibility study and design of a new water source on Domasi River and the associated infrastructure including intakes, transmission pipelines, pump stations, storage reservoirs, etc.
- Undertake environmental and social impact assessment (ESIA) and resettlement action plan (RAP) studies.
- Prepare detailed designs, BOQ, technical specifications, and tender documents for the new source development.