The Government of Sri Lanka implemented the Urban Water & Sanitation Project to improve water supply and sanitation in four districts of north and northwest Sri Lanka, namely Chilaw, Puttalam, Mannar and Vavuniya.
SMEC was engaged as the Design, Construction, Supervision and Management (DCSM) support consultant responsible for reviewing the project plan, preparation of detailed engineering designs, health and safety compliance, community consultant and construction supervision, and water supply and sanitation components.
These components included:
- Impounding reservoirs at Vavuniya and Puttalam and a low-level weir at Chilaw
- 12,000 cubic metre per day water treatment plants at Chilaw, Puttalam and Vavuniya
- Six water distribution ground reservoirs and four water towers
- 130 kilometres of transmission mains and 550 kilometres of distribution networks.
SMEC’s scope included:
- Water resources development
- Rehabilitation and construction of water treatment facilities
- Implementation of water and leak detection programs
- Improvements to household sanitation and sewage management.
The Government of Sri Lanka
Get in touch with our global specialists to discover how SMEC can assist with the delivery of your next project.