Delivery of detailed design
As part of the Ballina Bypass Alliance, SMEC delivered detailed design services for roads, structures, pavements, geotechnical solutions and confirmed compliance with related technical, environmental, and authority requirements.
SMEC used its specialist transportation and geotechnical team to contribute to creating positive and beneficial outcomes at the end of the Ballina Bypass Project. On the completion of the Ballina Bypass, SMEC’s contribution included:
- The design and construction of 11.5 km of dual carriageway
- Three grade-separated interchanges (Teven Road, Cumbalum and Ross Lane)
- A 2.5 km extension of the Bruxner Highway
- Realignment of the existing Pacific Highway
- 12 km of local roadworks
- 19 bridges including a balanced cantilever bridge, several significant cuttings, numerous culverts, and various types of retaining structures.