In order to accommodate larger aircraft, the aircraft stands at Africa’s busiest runway were required to be upgraded and reconfigured.
SMEC was awarded the project as part of it’s appointment on ACSA’s panel for provision of professional engineering services for the rehabilitation of airside infrastructure at ACSA managed airports nationwide.
SMEC provided the technical pavement expertise required to accommodate the heavier wheel load configurations of larger aircrafts. Reconfiguring the aircraft stands required strategic concrete slab rehabilitation and the relocation of sections of the main aircraft fuel line and fuel pits.
- Pavement condition assessment (rigid and flexible)
- Pavement upgrade design
- Pavement rehabilitation design
- Preparation of tender documentation and drawings
- Tender adjudication assistance
- Construction supervision
- Close out
- Administration during defects liability period
Johannesburg, South Africa
Airports Company South Africa
Talk to one of our specialists about our role on the OR Tambo International Airport Project.